ABOUT THIS CLASS
When you arrange for a self-defense class for your group, you are doing more than giving them great safety skills. You are doing more than educating them on real risks and attacker tricks. You are providing an experience in lifelong learning. You are empowering those you care about, and these skills will help them as they go out in their community and succeed.
Your custom program can be as small as an individual lesson for a few hours, or a couple of family and friends on a weekend afternoon.
Or your custom program can be a whole girl scout troop, soccer team, book club, charity league, family, … any group seeking to enhance their quality of life!
The most often requested formats are one 3 hour session, or two 2 hour sessions.
Contact Strategic Living to arrange for Private Lessons.
- Private lessons for one: $100/hour (minimum 2 hours)
- Private lessons for two: $150/hour (minimum 2 hours)
- One hour Lunch-N-Learn or Brown Bag presentation: $475 for as many participants as the fire marshall will allow in the room. Great for a large group with limited time.
- 3 hour class: $390 flat fee for up to 6 participants, $65 each additional person (up to 12) — ideal for Teen Girls classes
- 2.5 hour class: $360 flat fee for up to 6 participants, $60 each additional person (up to 12) — suitable for Tween Girls classes
- 5 hour class: $525 flat fee for up to 5 participants, $105 each additional person (up to 12) — seminar for women and teens with longer attention spans
- 4 hour class, divided in 2 sessions: $425 for up to 5 participants, $85 each additional person — also a good choice for Teen/Tween girls, or Mother-Daughter sessions.
Safety Skills for Children:
- Grades K-3 (1.5 hour class): $175 for up to 5 children (parents ride free), $35 each additional child (max 8 children)
- Grades 4-5 (2 hour class): $225 for up to 5 children (parents ride free), $45 each additional child (max 10 children)
Do you have a larger group? Contact me for other options.
Do you have a Girl Scout troop? We can come to you and offer classes for your troop! Please take a look at our Girl Scouts page for more information.
Additional costs for travel may be incurred for groups organized outside the Seattle area.
If your community- or family-based group needs financial assistance, please take a look at Strategic Living’s Donate Class program.
Tips on successfully arranging your custom self-defense class:
- While a 5 week course is great for learning and bonding, in my experience it is exceedingly difficult for private groups to arrange. One or two sessions seem to work best with a myriad of busy schedules.
- Email me for a list of dates and times I have open. However, at any given time there are between one and four other groups looking at the exact same list — so by the time you get back to me, your first choice may be already taken. Have a second date in mind.
- I am willing to hold one date tentatively for one week.
- Contact potential attendees early, and send out a few reminders.
- Age matters. Material appropriate for your 10 year old daughter will bore her 18 year old sister, and material important for the 18 year old will be too mature for her little sister.
- Get solid commitments. If possible, collect payment in advance.
- Recruit a few more people than you want to attend. There are always one or two no-shows in any group.
- Most of these classes are taught at the Feminist Karate Union in Seattle’s International District. If you wish to use another suitable venue, I generally will travel within a short distance of Seattle. If the outside venue requires reservations or charges rent, you are responsible for all arrangements and payments.