ABOUT THIS CLASS
If you have only an afternoon, or even just a few hours to spare, spend it here. You’ll learn the most important lesson: that you have choices. In a single session you’ll learn about real risks, assailant tricks, crucial targets and how to create an impact. You will learn about recognizing and dealing with manipulations and ploys used by people you may know (including in domestic violence) as well as complete strangers. EmPOWERment has never been more fun.
COVID UPDATE November 2022: All instructors are fully vaccinated, and participants who are eligible should be fully vaccinated two weeks before class begins. Masks are required.
- Sunday March 26. 1:00 – 4:30 pm. Cost: $109. Location: Feminist Karate Union, 920 South Holgate St, Seattle WA 98134. Register online.
- Sunday April 9. 1:15 – 4:30 pm. Cost: $109. Location: Phinney Neighborhood Center, 6532 Phinney Ave N, Seattle WA 98103. Register online.
- Saturday, May 20, 2023, 1:45 – 4:45 pm. Cost: $89 Kirkland residents, $107 non-residents. This IN-PERSON class focuses on safety risks and strategies for women (and older teen girls). Location is NKCC, 12421 – 103rd Ave NE, Kirkland WA 98034. Registration opens March 22.
- Saturday, June 3, 3:00 – 6:00 pm. Cost: $125. Location: Kent Commons, 525 – 4th Ave N, Kent WA 98032. Register online.
- Saturday June 10. 1:30 – 5:00 pm. Cost: $109. Location: Feminist Karate Union, 920 South Holgate St, Seattle WA 98134. Register online.
- Sunday June 11. 1:15 – 4:30 pm. Cost: $109. Location: Phinney Neighborhood Center, 6532 Phinney Ave N, Seattle WA 98103. Register online.
- Saturday, July 15, 12:30 – 3:30 pm. Cost: $125. Location: Kent Commons, 525 – 4th Ave N, Kent WA 98032. Register online.
Safety for Seniors
Would you like to feel more confident and safe walking around the city or going places at night?
As an older person, you can increase your sense of security and maintain your independence by learning a few tips, tricks, and skills to keep at bay those who might mean you harm.
Learn to recognize when someone is looking at you like a victim, how to evade and thwart their plans, and a few simple yet highly effective physical moves to surprise and stun your attacker.
EmPOWERment has never been more fun!
This is a great class to take with your friends and is designed for seniors, both men and women, though people of all ages are welcome.
Athletic prowess is not required!
Come prepared to challenge yourself and enjoy the self confidence you will gain.
Not currently offered
Pepper Spray Class
Easy to obtain, cheap, no permit required, and simplicity of use make pepper spray an optimal choice for those who want added protection. Yet, as with any other tool, there is some learning and practice involved if you want to get the most out of it.
Visit our Pepper Spray class page for upcoming classes and registration.